Quilting is, undoubtedly, a hobby that requires a lot of patience but it can be very rewarding once you have mastered it. Whether you are a professional quilter or just taking quilting as your hobby, a suitable iron is always a must! That’s why a lot of quilters these days are very into finding the best small iron for quilting.
However, if you are new to the market, it can be very overwhelmed by all of the information out there. From something simple like type of iron, size and weight to complicated factors like ergonomic aspect, various heat settings, functionality of each iron.
No need to worry! Here we have researched a variety of products and had our list of the top 15 best small iron for quilting that you will definitely like!
Best Small Iron For Quilting Comparison 2021
** Below, you will find our detailed reviews of the Best Small Iron For Quilting, but you can also click these following links to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Top Best Small Iron For Quilting Reviews 2021
Rowenta DW9280 Digital Display Steam Iron
With an output of 1800 watts this rowenta iron releases a tremendous amount of steam only by a light press of the pump the built-in anti-calcium system will guarantee that the lime scale does not build up either so that your steam iron will last longer the only cleaning work you need to do is to wipe the outside of the steam iron
In order to conserve energy, this model is equipped with a smart steam motion sensor which will automatically shut down steam output if you stop ironing . Although having a fresh and polished appearance with a nice blue color, the actual weight of DW9280, 3.85 pounds, might be a little drawback for someone who travels a lot.
Safety is a major concern that many people have when using an iron because it can cause fire. No need to worry because DW9280 can automatically shut down in three different ways. It will shut down after 8 minutes of unused vertical position and 30 seconds if you tip it over or leave it horizontally.
- Have a lot of additional features.
- Eye-catching and aesthetic design.
- Safety procedure is well integrated in this iron with 3-way of automatic shut down.
- Efficient self-cleaning system is very handy.
- It can be a little bit heavy for some people.
- Need to fill the water tank too frequently due to the large amount of steam used.
- Due to the blue color of the model, it may be hard to see the inside of the water tank which may cause overfill.
Rowenta DW7180 Everlast 1750-Watt Anti-Calc Steam Iron
As its name has stated this rowenta model comes with the anti-calc technology captures calcium particles and flush it out through multiple tiny holes on its soleplate this technology contributes to high performance and consistency of this model no matter how long you use it and with this you can utilize its 1750 watts of power to the utmost to remove every wrinkles
Beside its anti-calc and self-clean features rowenta DW7180 also has a 10-ounce water tank that you can use up to 30 minutes of uninterrupted ironing.
Efficiency is what we are all looking for at high-end iron products and rowenta dw7180 sure will exceed our expectations auto steam is a feature integrated in this model which helps it to automatically adjust the steam output according to the current soleplates temperature this will help to conserve water as well as make ironing much easier and enjoyable.
- Ergonomic handling will help you while doing ironing during a long period of time.
- It has 3-way of automatic shut down to ensure safety for the user.
- High performance and consistency over long time use.
- It is not a lightweight iron with the actual weight of 4 pounds.
- It may be complicated for beginner quilters with a lot of additional features.
- There is a probability of leaking why using it at a low temperature.
Rowenta DW6080 Eco-Intelligence 1700-Watt
This very specific model comes with an eco-friendly steam mode which with no doubt will be a suitable iron for users who care much about the environment around us. Using 25% less energy than standard irons but Rowenta DW6080 can still perform at high-level efficiency for a long time with admirable consistency.
The soleplate of this model is also made of stainless steel which is a proof for its well-built quality. The stainless steel helps the soleplate and tip of the iron glides perfectly on the surface. All of this will make your ironing experience frictionless!
Ergonomic is a factor that most people overlook but make no mistake because when it comes to ironing over a long period of time, this can be the game changer. DW6080 has an ergonomic grip which will help you to prevent muscular fatigue if you have to iron for a long period of time.
- Well-built quality in Germany.
- Excellent grip will help tremendously if you iron for a long time.
- Use 25% less energy than standard irons.
- Comes with a stainless steel soleplate and 400 holes for concentrated steam or even distribution.
- Small water tank capacity compared to the steam output.
- Slightly heavier than other iron.
- Only 3 settings for temperature regulation.
Rowenta DW5080 1700-Watt
If you are a beginner quilter, you should check this Rowenta DW5080 right now! It comes with a large thermostat knob which is very user-friendly. You just need to switch to the most suitable steam output and there you go!. It also has more than 400 steam holes which will help you to evenly distribute steam on the surface area.
Another handy feature of this model is that it can use tap water to iron which not many of the iron models out-there can do. With a translucent water tank window, you can easily see when you will need to refill the tank.
A bonus point for DW5080 is that it heats up pretty quickly. You just need to wait a couple minutes before it reaches your desirable temperature. In case you want to use this model at a low temperature, DW5080 also has an Anti-Drip technology that prevents dripping of water.
- Multi functional iron that can be used for a variety of situations.
- This iron heats up very quickly, just a couple of minutes.
- The thermostat knob is very easy to use, even with beginners.
- It can be a little bit heavy.
- It can be noisy if used at high performance.
- You cannot manually turn on or turn off it without pulling the plug out.
Oliso M2 Pro Mini Project Iron with Solemate
If you are looking for a portable, lightweight iron for quilting when travelling, you cannot miss out Oliso M2 Pro Mini. Only weighing 2.2 pounds, Oliso M2 Pro Mini is no double the go-to product for quilters who travel a lot. But make no mistake, with a slim looking as it is, Oliso M2 Pro Mini has a power output of a standard iron, 1000 watts. And it can also reach its highest temperature setting within 1 minute.
A fascinating feature of this Oliso M2 Pro Mini is that it uses tap water instead of distilled water. Believe us, this will help you save a lot of time when refilling the water tank. The design of it is also very minimalistic and fairly easy to use. You just need to get used to the large thermostat knob that is located on the top of the iron, that’s it!
- Very portable, can be used while travelling.
- It uses tap water instead of distilled water, which comes in very handy.
- The design is not too complicated, beginner friendly.
- Not consistent when it comes to making steam.
- Sometimes it is quite hot to hold on which makes it not suitable for long term use.
- The design may cause difficulty for some to grip on.
Cricut 2007468 Easy Press Mini
Do not be mistaken by its unique design, the Circuit Easy Press Mini delivers many more things than a standard mini iron. Because of its customized design that you cannot find on any other irons, you can use it on multiple objects like journals, hats, stuffed animals, etc.
It also provides us with an auto shutoff feature that many quilters have already praised for. Safety is always a concern for us when doing ironing so that this Circuit Easy Press Mini also has a solid safety base. Besides that it only weighs 1.07 pounds! This is a combination of a very desirable weight and decent power level to do ironing.
Also it is very beginner friendly because with its design you will find out that you can apply force on this much more easily than other iron. And the heat setting is very reliable, you will always know the current temperature.
- Super lightweight and a compact size suitable for travel.
- Customize design unique items like hats, shoes, doll clothes, etc.
- Easier to apply pressure than standard iron.
- Very easy to use, suitable for beginner quilters.
- Quite pricey for its size and power.
- Only 3 heat settings, this can be a drawback when you use it for complicated tasks.
Dritz 29500 Petite Press Portable Mini Iron
Another unique design comes from Dritz 29500 Petite Press Portable Mini Iron. At your first glance, you can mistake it with a can opener but don’t be tricked by its appearance because this mini iron is designed specifically for quilters.
With its four changeable head position options, you can use this mini iron on every area surface of your quilts to remove wrinkles. Besides that, its design is considered ergonomic and will help you prevent muscular fatigue while ironing for a long period of time.
Due to its size, the Dritz 29500 Petite Press Portable Mini Iron can heat up to your desired temperature pretty fast and remain hot for a long period of time if you need to do ironing for an extended period of time.
- Lightweight and portable for every scenario.
- Ergonomic handling which helps you to feel more comfortable.
- Heat up very quickly and remain hot for a long period of time.
- Designed specifically for quilting, crafting and sewing.
- Cannot replace a standard iron because it cannot get hot enough.
- Its particular design is not very aesthetic to everyone.
Professional Grade 1700W Steam Iron
If you need an iron for quilting with an enormous power output within an affordable price range, Professional Grade 1700W Steam Iron might be the one that you love! With an output of 1700 watt, it can rapidly and evenly heat its soleplate so that you can glide effortlessly through different types of materials.
Integrated in this iron is the auto shutoff technology that will help you prevent accidents or burnt clothes if left unused.
Coming with a large water tank means that you won’t have to frequently worry about refilling your water tank. This can help you save a tremendous amount of time. Beside, with multiple temperature control options, you can freely adjust the temperature according to your specific needs.
- The power output is undoublety very powerful 1700W which helps to remove any wrinkles.
- Stainless steel soleplate which will help the soleplate and the tips to glide easily and increase durability.
- There are safety features to avoid accidents and burnt clothes.
- It can be heavy for quilters who do a lot of travel and prefer small iron.
- The thermostat knob is quite flat so it can be hard to turn.
- Due to the grey, blue color, it is quite hard to figure out when you need to refill the water tank.
Darice, White Mini Electric Iron
If you are a quilter who just takes quilting as a hobby, this Darice, White Mini Electric Iron might be the go-to for you! With only one temperature setting and an intuitive design, it might be one of the simplest machines out there for ironing for quilting.
Besides, it is within a very affordable price range which makes it perfect for beginners who just start their quilting journey!
As a mini iron should be, it weighs only 0.55 pounds and height 9.2 inches. With this size and weight, this can be considered one of the smallest and lightest iron. If you don’t observe carefully, you can mistake this iron for a toy!
- It is truly a mini iron with the weight of 0.55 pounds and height of 9.2 inches only!
- This is an absolute beginner friendly iron since it has only one temperature setting, you just need to plug it in and then start ironing.
- It does not have an automatic shutdown which can be dangerous if there are kids around.
- Due to the small size and one temperature setting only, this iron can only do simple quilting, not complicated one.
- It can be too small for someone with a large hand because its height is only 9.2 inches.
CLOVER MCI-900 Mini Iron
At your first look, this mini iron looks not so much different from a normal toothbrush that you use on a daily basis. That’s how compactable it is! It only weighs 90 grams so you can bring along everywhere you want without causing any inconvenience.
Its design is also very intuitively to use because it contains one slide-switch of temperature setting, which is “High” and “Low”. Come with this slide-switch is the option to manually shut off the min iron which is very convenient.
Combined with the minimalistic design of the iron, its electrical cord is very long: 2.43 metres. With such length you can freely move around while ironing without causing any concerns.
- Very compact design with the weight of 90 grams which you can bring with you everywhere!
- Suitable for quilters who just start quilting because there is only one slide-switch of temperature setting, which is “High” and “Low”.
- It has a very long electrical cord with the length of 2.43 metres. Combined this with the size of the iron, this iron as a whole is very flexible and can truly be used anywhere.
- The soleplate is too small which will take you more time to do the iron for quilting.
- The price is quite high if taking into consideration its power output,durability and functionality.
Steamfast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron
Only weighing 1 pound and 5.2 inches height, Steamfast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron is undoubtedly one of the most lightweight iron that you can find. Although its small design, its electrical cord length is 7.5 inches which is more than enough for a variety of circumstances and enables you to move freely without restriction.
Although this machine is small in design, its power output is more than enough for ordinary quilting and it can be heated up quite fast, only requiring about 15 seconds to heat up.
It also includes a variety of steam and heat setting options for you to choose from that will match your current needs.
- Its size is perfect for quilters who frequently travel around.
- It can be heated up pretty fast, only requiring 15 seconds for this Steamfast SF-717 to heat up.
- A variety of steam and heat settings will enable the user to iron different types of materials.
- The soleplate of Steamfast SF-717 can be inconvenient for some users, especially quilters, because its tip is not pointed enough to be used.
- There is no auto shutdown feature in this machine so you have to plug it out in order to shut down the machine.
- The amount of steam it produces is considered not enough for many users.
Rowenta DA1560 Travel-Ready 1000-Watt Compact Steam Iron
Unique foldable handling of this Rowenta DA1560 will grab your attention instantly. This allows you to put this small iron in every suitcase and travel without any single concern.
Coming with its unorthodox design is the famous stainless steel soleplate and a pointed tip that will help you to glide through the surface more easily so that you can remove wrinkles on your quilting without difficulties,
Considering its mini-size, its consistent steam and even heat output on the soleplate is very impressive. You can also adjust multiple temperature rates for a variety of materials that you are ironing, which makes this machine a lot more worth buying within its price range.
- As its name has stated: “Travel-ready”, this iron can be easily put in your suitcase when you travel due to its compact design.
- Stainless steel soleplate and a pointed tip will reduce a significant amount for you when ironing.
- The temperature rate is adjustable and the steam output is very consistent which is very impressive for its mini-size.
- The durability of this machine is very short-term because its material is not a high quality material.
- Although the handling can be folded flat for storage, this particular handling can be hard to grip while ironing.
Travel Steamer Iron Mini
Travel Steamer Iron Mini, as the name has stated, this small iron is meant for travelers. With a dual voltage, 240V and 120V, you can bring this iron along with you while traveling without worrying too much about the electricity output in your place.
The design will certainly help quilters who are just beginners because it is very intuitive to use and users can get accustomed to fairly quickly. It also has an anti-slip design to prevent any unfortunate accidents while ironing.
A couple of minutes is what it takes for this little machine to heat up and it will consistently remain hot for a period of time which is more than enough for your ironing.
- This machine can heat up very quickly and consistently produces your desired amount of steam.
- It is quite intuitive to use this machine so that quilters beginner can get used to this pretty quickly.
- It has an handling with an anti-slip design which help you to easily grip it while doing the iron.
- The tip of the soleplate is rounded instead of pointed which some quilters can find this particularly inconvenient to use because it is hard to remove wrinkles.
- There is no power switch so if you want to turn it off, you will have to plug it out.
- Although it is relatively lightweight, the particular design of it takes up too much space around.
Utopia Home Steam Iron with Nonstick Soleplate
Affordable price range, handy additional function, great ironing experience is what this little piece of machine can offer to you. A stainless steel soleplate and pointed tip will help you save a lot of time while ironing.
A fascinating feature of this iron is that it can water spray, a function that not many irons in this price range can do. This will certainly help your ironing process and you will come out with the desired results effortlessly.
All of this comes within a reasonable price range, this machine certainly offers everything you ever need in a small iron for quilting.
- It has a stainless steel soleplate which helps the gliding process much more smoother and less time-consuming.
- It has a water spray function which will help you to get your desired ironing results.
- Affordable price range for all of its function and build quality.
- It has a relatively short electrical cord which will be inconvenient in some certain situations.
- It is quite large compared to a min-size, travel iron which makes it difficult to travel around with this machine.
Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot 800 Watt Compact
With a unique design, Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot 800 Watt Compact grip our attention instantly. But don’t be mistaken that unique design is the only thing that this machine offers. With a dual voltage system, 240V and 120V, you can freely use this piece of machine without worrying too much about electricity output.
A non-stick sole plate and a pointed tip will certainly help you to glide through the surface much easier.
The Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot 800 Watt Compact is truly a mini and compact travel iron with the weight of 1.39 pounds and 3.6 inches height it can easily fit every suitcase.
- It has a dual voltage system, 240V and 120V, so electricity output may not be too much of a concern when using this little machine.
- A variable temperature controls heat setting which can be used for multiple purposes.
- Non-stick soleplate so that when doing iron you can glide the soleplate on the surface area much smoother.
- There is no auto shut off so it can be inconvenient if you want to manually shut it down.
- There are serious concerns about water leakage if ironing at a low temperature.
- Its hand grip style can be difficult for new users to get used to.
Key Factors To Know When Choosing The Best Small Iron For Quilting
When it comes to choosing an iron for quilting, it can be complicated whether you are a professional or amateur quilter. From considering the design, price, durability, portability to something more complicated like the temperature setting, the iron’s material, additional and advanced function. But don’t worry because you have us here to back you up!
Let’s take a look at important aspects that you should look for when choosing the best small iron for quilting by yourself!
Size & Weight
Since you are looking for a small iron for quilting, portability is definitely an indispensable factor. Whether you want to travel around a lot, so that you want a compact, portable that can be easily put into your suitcase without taking too much room.
Besides, the reason why you should take size & weight into serious consideration because it may affect your iron process much more than you think. A heavy iron will help you tremendously while iron since you don’t have to apply too much pressure on it. A lightweight iron will be more portable and compact, but you will need to app a lot of force during iron process which can lead to wrist pain if iron for a long period of time.
In terms of price, you really need to think carefully before you make a purchase of an iron. If you are a quilter who just get started, you may want to avoid the most expensive, multi-functional iron and go with a “safe choice”, getting a mid-range iron for quilting is more than enough for you at this time because you won’t utilize all features of an high end iron, at least not yet .
But for quilters who have decided that you will commit to quilting for a long period of time and you are truly enjoying it. You might want to consider a high end iron, not only because it will help your ironing experience better than ever, imagine an iron that can glide through every surface area, has multiple additional features that help you during the work, an integrated safety technology that makes sure no accidents happen and an aesthetic design. Isn’t it fascinating? Moreover, with a high end iron you will have multiple temperature heating that allows you to iron complicated quilting, since different areas of a quilting require different temperature rates. With all of this, a high end iron product might be a little bit pricey but it sure will be the best bang for your buck!
Safety is one of the most pivotal aspects that people consider when purchasing an iron. Because iron can cause a lot of problems from burnt clothes to causing your house on fire! Many because, in order to save time, doing ironing with other activities like listening to music, watching a film. This type of multitasking is dangerous since you leave your iron unattended.
If you are among those multitasking when iron then an iron with auto shutoff function might be a good choice for your own safety. These types of iron will automatically shut off after a short period of time if you are not moving it around.
Also leaking is another concern that you may worry when buying an iron. Water is an excellent conductor so it would be safer if you don’t purchase any iron that has an excessive leakage problem.
Without adequate heat, you will find it very hard to get your ironing work done! Too much or too little heat will not do the work for you. Finding the right amount of heat is the tricky part while ironing for quilting. That’s why you should choose an iron that has multiple temperature setting options because this will give you more choice in terms of temperature.
Different part of your quilt requires a different temperature rate, that’s why choosing an iron with only one temperature setting might be beginner friendly because it is easy to use but might do harm to you in the long run when you need multiple temperature options for different purposes or complicated quitting.
You may want to consider durability because iron is the type of machine that you use on a daily basis and you definitely don’t want your machine to break down too soon. This is even more important for small iron since most of the small iron aren’t very long-lasting compared to a standard iron.
You should choose stainless steel, for your stoleplate because not only it will make you glide through quilts more easily but it is far more durable than normal steel. Although it can be pricey, believe us you will find your ironing experience much more enjoyable and your iron will last much longer.
Are you still questioning your choice of the best small iron for quilting or confusing about how to iron for quilting? If that is the case, you check out this 7-minute video and we are sure that it will help you:
Conclusion: My Top Pick For Best Small Iron For Quilting
An iron is definitely an essential tool for quilters, whether you are a professional or amatuer quilter. Some irons may provide you additional functions, some are more power saving and eco-friendly than others, some are so lightweight that you can even put it in your smallest suitcase but still have plenty of room. This whole process can be quite overwhelming.
Some of you prefer a light and slim design because you travel a lot and want to carry along your iron, some may want a well-rounded, multifunctional iron that basically can do everything. In the end it depends on what you are really looking for at an iron for quilting. There is no one size fit all.
At this point, you should be able to choose for yourself the most suitable iron for quilting. If you are still unsure or just want some references, here is our top 5 picks of small iron for quilting: